Cardinal Health recognizes a need for a common set of standards in the medical product supply chain and endorses GS1 standards for common location (GLN) and product (GTIN) identifiers as a foundation for the efficient sharing of medical product information among trading partners. We believe that the industry-wide adoption of these standards will enhance supply chain visibility, drive opportunities for cost savings and improve patient safety.
Successful, industry-wide adoption of these standards requires cooperation across the medical product supply chain. Cardinal Health has, and will, continue to leverage its deep supply chain expertise to work closely with industry groups and our trading partners to build a roadmap for adoption.
The Cardinal Health GLN Provider Solution is designed based on our experience and our critical role in the supply chain for both the provider and supplier. Our approach addresses all aspects of readiness through set-up, testing and finally the actual transmission of EDI transactions between the provider, Cardinal Health and, if applicable, GHX using the new GLN identifier.
The GLN Provider Solution provides the following capabilities:
- Upfront and ongoing strategy planning
- Data cleansing and normalization services
- Assignment of provider locations
- Reconciliation of Cardinal Health ship-tos to provider’s locations
- Integration of GLNs into the Cardinal Health fulfillment, invoicing and EDI transaction system
- Verification of EDI Purchase Order Lifecycle transactions containing GLNs leveraging GHX (if applicable)
Cardinal Health believes there are several areas for return on investment which include improved, more efficient processes for contracting, rebates, chargebacks, returns and network visibility improvements. The industry-wide adoption of these standards will potentially:
- Enhance supply chain visibility
- Drive opportunities for cost savings
- Synchronize and normalize data
- Improve patient safety
Want to learn more?
262 Kb – PDFMayo Clinic and Cardinal Health GLN Whitepaper – 2/2010
1.9 Mb – PDFA Provider’s Guide to System Readiness for GS1 Standards