Preventing disease transmission in patients and healthcare workers has taken on greater significance in today’s healthcare environment with the emergence of new pathogens, multi-drug resistant organisms, and increased focus to reduce healthcare associated infections.
The selection and use of surgical gowns are essential components of an effective infection prevention program. Perioperative nurses must be knowledgeable about barrier fabric qualities in order to select and use gowns appropriately in the OR.
Upon completion of this continuing education activity, participants will be able to:
- Summarize clinical rationale for the use of surgical gowns related to barrier protection.
- Discuss regulatory and professional guidelines pertaining to the selection and use of surgical gowns.
- Describe industry tests used to evaluate the effectiveness of barrier materials.
- Identify key criteria used for the appropriate selection and use of surgical gowns.
- Critique a clinical case study regarding the selection and use of surgical gowns.