The catheterization procedure must always be carried out under guidance or direction of a healthcare professional.
- Cleanse your hands thoroughly before preparing the catheter.
- Cleanse your genitals as advised by your doctor or nurse and choose a position that is comfortable for you - it can be squatting or sitting on the toilet, or standing with one foot on the toilet.
- With two fingers spread the labia apart to find the urethral opening. Some women find it useful to use a mirror initially until they have the confidence to find the urethral opening by touch.
- Gently slide the catheter into the urethra and advance until urine flows, allowing the urine to drain into the toilet or a container.
- When the flow of urine stops, gently remove the catheter.
- Dispose of the catheter in an appropriate manner and cleanse your hands.
These instructions are intended to be used as a follow up to the advice you have already been given from a healthcare professional.