It’s important to note that dressings don’t heal wounds, they just manage factors that otherwise prevent a wound from healing properly. This is why you need to choose the right dressing to create the best environment to help your body heal.
In order to heal, we need to create an environment that is nurturing for your body’s healing cells. This means we want to do the following in this order.
- Get rid of dead tissue or anything that gets in the way of healing
- Identify and treat any infections
- Manage the amount of exudate (bleeding and wound fluid) by absorbing any excess, and wicking it out of deep “dead spaces”
- Keep the wound surface moist to help cells move across and heal the wound
- Protect healing wound from infection or trauma
- Insulate and maintain normal temperatures