- CLIA waived: whole blood (finger stick or venipuncture)
- Moderately complex (nonwaived): serum and plasma
- Dipstick format: Two-color results
- Time to result: 5 minutes or less
- ≥99% Sensitivity**; 96% specificity
- No age restriction: Please see instructions for use for full prescribing information. A heterophile antibody response is observed in approximately 80-90% of adults and children with EBV-caused IM. This percentage drops to approximately 50% for children under four years of age1.
**Test was compared to latex agglutination and discrepant results were then resolved with EBV serological testing.
1Lennette, E.T., Epstein-Barr Virus, in Manual of Clinical Microbiology. Balows, A., Hausler, W .J. Jr., Herrmann, K.L., Isenberg, H.D., Shadomy, H. J., Editors, 5th Edition, American Society for Microbiology, Washington D.C., pp847-852, 1991.